(This may be considered a reprise of this 2010 thread.)
Just now, there is/was a surge of closings of matlab questions. Old ones, with accepted answers.
While some of them were definitely good fits for the now-gone close reason "too localised", it seems that there is a fraction of users that consider all questions (purely) about MATLAB to be off-topic for MSE.
I don't have any practical experience with MATLAB, but definitely these questions are a bit of an odd bunch among the MSE question populace.
On the other hand, our FAQ states that MSE is a place for questions about "software that mathematicians use".
It seems that we should do one of the following:
- Close questions about MATLAB as off-topic and remove the statement that MSE is for questions about "mathematicians' software". Options:
- Migrate them to StackOverflow;
- Just close them and let askers figure out themselves where to ask MATLAB questions.
- Retain the "mathematicians' software" claim, and don't close questions purely about MATLAB (even if they aren't directly mathematical in nature).
- Some "middle road", where generic programming language questions are closed, while questions geared to the features of MATLAB as a CAS are retained and answered.