In several discussions here on meta, one user expressed the opinion, that every new tag (or at least most of them) should be discussed on meta before creating.
For example here
There is a saying that it's easier to apologize later than get permission first. I disagree with that when it comes to new tags. When I see a new tag which wasn't discussed on meta first, I will almost always delete it. Especially if I wouldn't be 168% sure that I'd agree with having that tag on the site.
Let me say a few comments on this:
- I do not think this is really necessary if the tag-creator is confident that the tag is useful. (They might be wrong, but probably someone will ping them or make a post on meta, if they disagree.)
- I do not know whether it is advisable to increase the number of posts about tagging here on meta. Already at this moment the posts about such topics do not get too much attention. Making a post about each newly creation tag would make the situation a little worse. So in my opinion we should use meta posts only for problematic ones: If a user wants to create tag, but they are not completely sure. If a user wants to remove a tag created by someone else, but they are not completely sure. (This agrees with Willie Wong's answer here. Admittedly, the site has grown since then, so new tags might be a bigger problem now, since there are more users to create them.)
- Perhaps some discussions could be made in tagging chatroom instead of meta?
- I think that even if the community consensus is that every new tag should be discussed first, maybe we can make an exception for tags on meta. (Quite often they are copies of tag-names from meta.SE, where these tags have already been established.)
- If the community consensus is that every new tag should be discussed here on meta, the users who do not read meta will not follow this guideline. But we can still point them to this thread. (Or perhaps create a faq or faq-proposed post on creation new tags. Maybe such post already exists?)
Should every newly created tag be discussed on meta? Or is it sufficient to make posts on meta only when there are some doubts whether a tag is going to be really useful?
When discussing creation of tags, it is natural to ask also the dual question:
Should removal of a newly created tag (with the exception of obvious typos) be always discussed on meta?
(I think that there is no doubt that a tag which already contains many questions should be discussed on meta before removing it; so I restricted this only to relatively recent tags.)
Related older posts: