When, for some reason, I want contact a moderator I have several possibilities:
- I can flag some post.
- I can bring up the particular issue on meta.
- I can ping one of the mods by leaving a comment on some of their posts.
- I can ping one of the mods in chat.
- I can leave in chat a message (without pinging anybody) asking: "If some of the moderators sees this, could they have a look at the following issue..."
In some situations neither of the above possibilities is optimal.
- Flags are designed to be used for some specific things. Moreover, some issues might require clarification and exchange of a few messages between user and a moderator. As far as I know, flags are not good for such short discussions.
- Some issues might be too minor to be brought up in a separate meta post.
- If I ping one of the moderators it is kind of forcing this particular person to deal with the issue; it would be better to get the issue to attention of any moderator - somebody from the moderator team who has time at the moment could deal with it.
- If I leave message somewhere without a ping, it is quite probable that it will go unnoticed.
Would it be useful to have a chat room designed specifically for things which require attention of moderators and for questions which only moderators can answer?
If at least some people would consider this useful, it would be good to hear here not only the viewpoint of regular users, but also of members of the moderator team on this idea.
I think this might be good use for the Mathematics Meta room which was recently rediscovered. As it is currently the only room associated to meta (and it is not very probable that other rooms associated to that site will be added), one clear advantage of that room is that it will not be frozen for inactivity even if there are no messages in the room for a longer period.
This might improve communication between users and moderators in some cases. I do not think this would add much workload on moderators - several of them use chat at least occasionally. For example, they might at this room among favorites, so that they easily see whether there are some new messages.
I am not sure whether some of the other SE sites have a chat room designed specifically for communications with a moderator.
I was told in chat that there are such rooms, but I somewhat doubt the accuracy of that information. Several sites have rooms associated with metas, maybe some of them is used in this way. One I was able to find is Ask a Super User Moderator.