What I should do if answer is clearly wrong, and this is corrected by a suggested edit? Reject or accept? As I understand we cannot change sense of post by editing. But a wrong answer is a worst thing for me.


1 Answer 1


It depends.

Accept when:

  • The mistake is likely due to a typo or some other obviously inadvertent error and is corrected by the edit.

In all other cases, e.g.:

  • The wrong (version of a) definition was applied;
  • The wrong implication is proved;
  • A theorem's hypotheses were not fulfilled,

my stance is that the edit should be rejected because the meaning of the post is changed in such a way that only the author could do this.

In these situations, instead of an edit, comments, and possibly downvotes, are in order (but please take the time to write a comment). One should also consider posting one's own (corrected) answer, with attribution to the wrong answer if this is due in some way.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ This answer assumes (correctly IMO but contrary to the OP) that a wrong answer is not worse than putting words into someone's mouth. Re: the last paragraph: would you advise always taking this approach with older questions where the user is much less likely to make a revision (because of leaving, apathy, w/e). $\endgroup$ Aug 7, 2015 at 13:00
  • 3
    $\begingroup$ @Eric If the post is old, check the author's profile to get a sense of their level of activity. If they're very inactive (several months not seen), I'd go for comment, downvote, and if necessary and possible try and write a correct answer. A comment gives the poster the chance to come back, fix their post, and let you know about it. IMO this incentivises quality. $\endgroup$
    – Lord_Farin
    Aug 7, 2015 at 17:03
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Comments and downvotes are not only useful for the original author coming back and making a revision. They help others who come by later to treat the answer with appropriate skepticism. $\endgroup$ Aug 9, 2015 at 12:29

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .