When one edits 80 posts on math.stackexchange.com he/she gets a badge called "Strunk and White".

Can someone tell me why this badge has been given this name?

Thank you.

  • 6
    $\begingroup$ Strunk and White are names of people who authored a style guide. Also this. $\endgroup$ Feb 12, 2016 at 10:16
  • $\begingroup$ Uh, I had read the answer but didn't realize it was their names. That's quite the coincidence then... $\endgroup$ Feb 12, 2016 at 12:09
  • $\begingroup$ @NajibIdrissi out of idle curiosity, what else did you think it was? $\endgroup$
    – quid Mod
    Feb 12, 2016 at 18:57
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @quid I thought "strunk" referred to striking through words, and "white" referred to whiting out words... $\endgroup$ Feb 12, 2016 at 22:41
  • $\begingroup$ @NajibIdrissi I see, thanks for the clarification. $\endgroup$
    – quid Mod
    Feb 12, 2016 at 23:59

1 Answer 1


Check Wikipedia.

Strunk and White is the common name for "The Elements of Style", a guide to writing style dating all the way back to 1918.

The notion is (in my own interpretation) that a user who submits 80 edits of others' posts must surely enjoy writing, or he/she wouldn't bother. In other words, such an editor would, with a high probability, have a good grasp of the elements of style of writing in English.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .