I have seen that TeX.SE has community polls on their meta site. Those are polls conducted on their meta to find out various things about user base. Similar polls were conducted on mathematica.SE, on academia.SE and maybe on some other SE sites I am not aware of.1
Would it be interesting to create such a poll also here for math.SE community? The questions might be inspired by the questions from the other polls. I can imagine also some questions about:
- Demographics (e.g. users inside/outside academia, nations or at least continents, time zones, ...).
- Areas of mathematics users are interested in.
- Usage of math.SE and other sites in this network (frequency, which other SE sites, tools used to create posts or graphics used in posts...)
- Usage of various tools and mathematical software.
In fact, some questions here on meta which might be at least partially answered by such poll. A long time ago we had a question about this site usage (although the site has grown considerably since than and those answers are now clearly outdated). In this question (now deleted) somebody wondered whether mathematicians use GitHub. This recent question was about male/female ratio among users. There was also a relatively recent inquiry about polls in general.
We can learn from polls on other site about the form in which such a poll could be conducted. At the moment I am mainly interesting to know:
- Whether we want to have such polls. (Would their results be in some way useful or at least interesting?)
- Which areas could be included in the polls? (I am asking about broad areas, like the ones I have mentioned above, rather than specific questions.)
- Are there also areas which, for some reason, should be excluded?
EDIT: It seems that so far the idea was received relatively well. At the moment it is in my opinion too soon to start the thread with the community poll. (Currently quid's post has score +5, which is good, but probably not enough to call it community consensus.) I'd prefer to wait a bit to see whether there will be some other feedback or at least how the votes on the already existing answer change.
But perhaps it is not too premature to discuss some things about community polls, in case we decide to create them. But perhaps such discussion could be more suitable in chat. This is why I created this chat room. Examples of the topics which I imagine could be discussed there: various technical details, discussing whether some particular question is suitable, what experience from other sites that conducted such polls could be useful for us here, etc.
1 If I learn about other site which have conducted similar polls, I will add links here.