My question got recently marked as duplicate, and I agree on it. I understand marking a question as duplicate as useful in the following sense:
- It keeps Math SE clean.
- It provides me with a kind of an answer, because the answers to the original question might be applied to my problem as well.
- Someone who likes this question or thinks he can give another good answer can upvote/answer the original question instead.
But I see the following problems here:
- The banner "This question already has an answer here" is discouraging potential new answerers. At least for me it feels like, no new answer is needed here.
- Shouldn't a questsion that is asked over and over and repeatedly marked as duplicate of an old question somehow revive the original one, because it seems the problem is either recent or the original question is either hard to find or not sufficiently answered.
- I would like to be notified on new answers to the original question as it is my question as well. Marking a questuion as favorite seems not enabling notifications (or I am mistaken here?). Especially this point prevents me from easily accepting my question as a duplicate.
Maybe I do not understand the current system well enough. Please clarify for me, how to maximally benefit from a duplicate mark.