I'm looking to type this enter image description here

that I saw in a pdf document. However, when I google the mathematical alphanumerical symbols on Wikipedia, it has symbol styles for other letters, but I seems to be reserved.

enter image description here

Any ideas?

  • 4
    $\begingroup$ Try to use "\mathcal". $\endgroup$
    – Zacky
    Mar 18 '20 at 22:31
  • 8
    $\begingroup$ A good question (but not appropriate here) would be why these Unicode symbols are missing. ... Sometimes people say: I don't need to learn TeX, everything I need is already in Unicode. I seems Afro found differently. $\endgroup$
    – GEdgar
    Mar 19 '20 at 15:24

Use \mathcal I_1 to get $\mathcal I_1$.


Some of the omitted symbols here were thought to have already appeared earlier in Unicode. Your Wikipedia table says in a note

The reserved code points (the "holes") in the alphabetic ranges up to U+1D551 duplicate characters in the Letterlike Symbols block

For example U+2110 is "Script Capital I" and looks like ℐ allowing U+1D4A4 to be ignored

while U+210E is "Planck Constant" and looks like ℎ allowing U+1D455 to be ignored

  • $\begingroup$ +1 I was not aware you could type Unicode characters the way you did. $\endgroup$ Mar 29 '20 at 10:16

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .