A couple of days ago the groupoids tag appeared. Unfortunately, there are two different definitions of the word "groupoid" coming from category theory and from abstract algebra. When browsing the list of questions currently tagged groupoids, one immediately sees that
- definition of a groupoid uses the category definition of a groupoid,
- If set is closed under some operation, what does that tell us about the structure of the groupoid? uses the abstract algebra definition, and
- I have no idea which definition An example of functions on a groupoid one uses.
Any suggestions/ideas on how we deal with this particular set of conflicting terminology?
- Previously we split the (distributions) tag into probability-distributions and distribution-theory
- We also had a bit of fun killing (algebra) into algebra-precalculus and abstract-algebra
we could conceivably come up with two separate tags for the two concepts. Or we can have a tag-wiki requesting users to disambiguate by tagging appropriately also category-theory or abstract-algebra. Other ideas are also welcome.