I asked a question on the physics site that is basically me being stuck on showing something by integrating by parts and there is no physical reasoning involved, just the odd Quantum Mechanics word.

I didn't get a response over in Physics, but I'm pretty sure that someone here would be able to clear up my issue pretty quick, can I re-post the question here?

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ I would say: wait a week after asking. If you don't get an answer by then, consider posting elsewhere. $\endgroup$
    – GEdgar
    Commented Apr 4, 2013 at 12:36

2 Answers 2


If you are not getting a helpful response on physics.SE, ask the moderators there to migrate the question to math.SE.

If, as J.M. mentions, it is too old to migrate, then you can ask your question on math.SE, but should probably put a notice at the front of your old question that it has been moved to math.SE (including a link to the new question). Then anyone who wants to contribute can look on math.SE to make sure they are not duplicating efforts there.

  • $\begingroup$ ...but if it's "too old to migrate", then things are slightly hairier. $\endgroup$ Commented Apr 4, 2013 at 1:23
  • $\begingroup$ @J.M.: good point. I've made a suggestion for that. $\endgroup$
    – robjohn Mod
    Commented Apr 4, 2013 at 1:47
  • $\begingroup$ @J.M.: Wax on, wax off... :-P $\endgroup$
    – Asaf Karagila Mod
    Commented Apr 4, 2013 at 6:30

As far as I'm aware, provided a question is relevant in multiple SEs, it's fine to post it in two places provided that you explain that you have done so in each question. It's also good practice to provide a link from your old question to the new one (and vice versa) so that answerers can see what responses you have already, and prevent duplication of effort.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .