I studied group theory for three years, obtaining an MSc, but not a DPhil.
I retired on 2017-07-25 as a programmer with ~40 years experience of technical applications for industry and government written in [ C | C# | C++ | Java | COBOL | Pascal | FORTRAN | RTL II | PDP-11 Assembler ] to run on [ VMS | AIX | MS Windows | Linux ] .
Most satisfying bike ride: with a friend from the dawn chorus in Oxford to the Blue Anchor Inn, Helston at closing time.
I am a native English speaker, fluent in Dutch and German and with a smattering of a few other European languages.
I am an agnostic with a Christian upbringing now leaning towards atheism.
Member for 4 years, 5 months
6 profile views
Last seen Mar 7 at 10:09
- Stack Overflow 1k 1k 99 silver badges2626 bronze badges
- Board & Card Games 784 784 44 silver badges2222 bronze badges
- Mathematics 700 700 55 silver badges2020 bronze badges
- Science Fiction & Fantasy 310 310 22 silver badges1414 bronze badges
- Computer Science 255 255 22 silver badges1010 bronze badges
- View network profile →
Top network posts
- 16 Why does Mrs Coulter’s hair change colour between La Belle Sauvage and His Dark Materials?
- 15 Zero divided by zero must be equal to zero
- 13 Why does Sauron’s darkness over Gondor disperse before the set time?
- 13 Once retired, is it ever not worth improving a pension by voluntary National Insurance contributions?
- 12 Why are Elo ratings for go higher than for chess?
- 12 What is “looking for a place to resign” in go?
- 11 What exactly is the semantic difference between category and set?
- View more network posts →