I studied group theory for three years, obtaining an MSc, but not a DPhil.
I retired on 2017-07-25 as a programmer with ~40 years experience of technical applications for industry and government written in [ C | C# | C++ | Java | COBOL | Pascal | FORTRAN | RTL II | PDP-11 Assembler ] to run on [ VMS | AIX | MS Windows | Linux ] .
Most satisfying bike ride: with a friend from the dawn chorus in Oxford to the Blue Anchor Inn, Helston at closing time.
I am a native English speaker, fluent in Dutch and German and with a smattering of a few other European languages.
I am an agnostic with a Christian upbringing now leaning towards atheism.
Member for 5 years, 5 months
6 profile views
Last seen Mar 21 at 19:58
- Stack Overflow 1.2k 1.2k 1111 silver badges2727 bronze badges
- Board & Card Games 1.1k 1.1k 55 silver badges2525 bronze badges
- Mathematics 788 788 66 silver badges2121 bronze badges
- Science Fiction & Fantasy 514 514 33 silver badges1414 bronze badges
- Sustainable Living 285 285 22 silver badges1212 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 16 Why does Mrs Coulter’s hair change colour between La Belle Sauvage and His Dark Materials?
- 15 Zero divided by zero must be equal to zero
- 15 Why does Sauron’s darkness over Gondor disperse before the set time?
- 13 Once retired, is it ever not worth improving a pension by voluntary National Insurance contributions?
- 12 Why does Mochizuki insist on “forgetting the previous history of an object”?
- 12 Why are Elo ratings for go higher than for chess?
- 12 What is “looking for a place to resign” in go?
- View more network posts →