I write book reviews on Amazon in my free time, check them out if you can. http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/A3D1M2S8RVBZPK/ref=cm_cr_rdp_pdp
“Because of the success of science, there is a kind of a pseudo-science. Social science is an example of a science which is not a science. They follow the forms. You gather data, you do so and so and so forth, but they don’t get any laws, they haven’t found out anything. They haven’t got anywhere – yet. Maybe someday they will, but it’s not very well developed.
But what happens is, at an even more mundane level, we get experts on everything that sound like they are sort of scientific experts. They are not scientists. They sit at a typewriter and they make up something like ‘a food grown with a fertilizer that’s organic is better for you than food grown with a fertilizer that is inorganic’. Maybe true, may not be true. But it hasn’t been demonstrated one way or the other. But they’ll sit there on the typewriter and make up all this stuff as if it’s science and then become experts on foods, organic foods and so on. There’s all kinds of myths and pseudo-science all over the place.
Now, I might be quite wrong. Maybe they do know all these things. But I don’t think I’m wrong. See, I have the advantage of having found out how hard it is to get to really know something , how careful you have about checking your experiments, how easy it is to make mistakes and fool yourself. I know what it means to know something.
And therefore, I see how they get their information. And I can’t believe that they know when they haven’t done the work necessary, they haven’t done the checks necessary, they haven’t done the care necessary. I have a great suspicion that they don’t know and that they are intimidating people by it. I think so. I don’t know the world very well but that’s what I think.”
Member for 5 years, 10 months
0 profile views
Last seen Sep 12 '16 at 18:05
- Psychology & Neuroscience 1.2k 1.2k 99 silver badges2121 bronze badges
- Ask Ubuntu 331 331 11 gold badge22 silver badges1010 bronze badges
- Mathematics 225 225 11 silver badge1010 bronze badges
- History of Science and Mathematics 175 175 66 bronze badges
- TeX - LaTeX 153 153 66 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 12 Window stuck on 'Force UEFI installation?' window
- 11 What happens in your brain when you see a dinosaur in this stenographic image?
- 10 Window stuck on 'Force UEFI installation?' window
- 9 Are there gender differences in color discrimination ability?
- 9 Predictive Experiments on Neuroscience of Free Will
- 9 Research on aversion to cognitive effort?
- 8 Is there a relationship between schizophrenia and genius?
- View more network posts →