I am a moderator on Earth Science Stack Exchange. In September 2019, a colleague moderator on other Stack Exchange sites was dismissed and treated in a way I disagree with. Stack Overflow Inc. publicly accused her of violating the Code of Conduct. She has summarised her take on the situation here. She is now running a gofundme campaign to raise money for legal action on defamation.
I'm a researcher in satellite remote sensing at the Deutscher Wetterdienst in Offenbach, Hessen, Germany. I first came to Stack Exchange for practical reasons: Tex.SE has been of major help when I wrote my licentiate thesis. Since then, I have discovered the joy of many websites. As my network profile will show, I'm interested in travel, outdoor, scientific skepticism, and as my work is related to academia, also in academia and LaTeX.
When using a personal pronoun to refer to me in English, I prefer the pronoun he/him/his. I will not feel offended if you use another pronoun of your choice.
Profile photo by Dobromila, CC By-SA, via Wikimedia Commons
- Travel 41.8k 41.8k 1313 gold badges107107 silver badges241241 bronze badges
- Academia 36.3k 36.3k 1313 gold badges112112 silver badges182182 bronze badges
- Politics 35.9k 35.9k 1111 gold badges101101 silver badges217217 bronze badges
- The Great Outdoors 23.7k 23.7k 1010 gold badges7070 silver badges171171 bronze badges
- Skeptics 16.6k 16.6k 1313 gold badges7373 silver badges126126 bronze badges
- View network profile →
Top network posts
- 232 Why do American colleges and universities have sports teams?
- 191 Why prohibit engine braking?
- 133 `staticmethod` and `abc.abstractmethod`: Will it blend?
- 128 My car broke down in Siberia. What do I do now?
- 124 How hard do early-career academics in the United States work, really?
- 124 What options are left, if Britain cannot decide?
- 118 Why do students go for a PhD even when chances of getting academic jobs on its completion are slim?
- View more network posts →